Welcome to my little recipe box on the net. This is a place for me to share my family's favourite recipes with friends and relatives. Some have been handed down through the generations and some I have just collected over the years. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do and that I don't make you too hungry. *g*

Monday, November 28, 2005

Butter Tarts


Here is another Christmas favourite in our family. These are uniquely Canadian but if you are looking for a comparison, you might compare them to the American Pecan Pie or the British Treacle Tart, although I was not brought up putting nuts in my tarts. Some people do. Some people use raisins instead of currants but to me that would make it a raisin tart, not a Canadian butter tart. Here is my recipe for Butter Tarts and my pastry recipe that I use with it.

Butter Tarts

4 eggs
4 cups brown sugar
4 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup melted butter
2 2/3 cups currants

Beat egg only until well blended. Beat in sugar and add vinegar. Stir in melted butter and currants.

Line the tart tins with vinegar pastry and fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is firm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home