Welcome to my little recipe box on the net. This is a place for me to share my family's favourite recipes with friends and relatives. Some have been handed down through the generations and some I have just collected over the years. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do and that I don't make you too hungry. *g*

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Nanaimo Bars


With Christmas coming up, I thought I would start with one of my family's favourite treats. I grew up with these at home during Christmas and at family gatherings. The origins of these treats are a little in dispute but all sources agree they originated here on Vancouver Island or Vancouver. I have also collected a few variations which have been circulating over the last few years. I hope you enjoy them as much we all do.

Nanaimo Bars

1/2 cup butter
3 to 5 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup white sugar
1 beaten egg
2 cup crushed graham wafers
1 cup coconut
1/4 cup butter
2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp custard powder
3 tbsp milk
3 to 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp butter

Melt butter, cocoa and sugar in the top of a double boiler. Add egg and vanilla, add graham wafers, walnuts & coconuts. Press into 8x8 cake pan.

Cream margarine. Combine with milk and custard. Add to butter. Blend in icing sugar. Spread over first layer.

Melt margarine and chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Spread on top of other layers. Chill until firm. Cut and serve.

To store: Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks before cutting.

Variation: Mint Filling

1/3 cup butter
3 tbsp custard powder
1/4 cup milk
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp peppermint flavouring
1 to 2 drops green food colouring as desired

Variation: Cappuccino Filling

2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp butter
2 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups icing sugar

Variation: Bailey's Irish Cream

1/3 cup butter
3 tbsp custard powder
1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
2 to 3 cups icing sugar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home